CAPPA Seminar: Building My Management Skills Seminar
Thursday, June 14, 2018
8:30 am – 4:00pm
Venue: University of Calgary, Downtown Campus, 906 – 8th Ave. SW, Calgary, AB
Check lobby screen for event room number.
Day of Registration: 7:45 – 8:15
Meals provided: Light breakfast snack, morning coffee break, Lunch, afternoon coffee break
Please advise of any dietary restrictions
This one-day program is geared towards helping managers understand key concepts of management and to develop an understanding of the impact that management styles have on employee performance. In doing so, they are better equipped to work effectively with their teams for the success of clients and the business as a whole. This workshop equips managers to get to grips with the fundamental roles and responsibilities of management, challenging their current ideas and approaches and supporting their development within the business.
Who Will Benefit
Individuals who are either new to people management or are seasoned managers looking to enhance their effectiveness as leaders.
- Recognize the challenges of effective people management
- Identify the impact that managers have on their people
- Understand how to motivate others to improve performance through goal setting and feedback
- Hold a challenging conversation around performance
- Prioritise day-to-day activities and move forward their contribution to sustainable success
- Develop a personal action plan for application in the workplace.
Topics covered will include:
- The role of the manager and expectations of managers
- Managing yourself, your people, and the business
- The manager as a role model for behaviour
- How to motivate and engage your team
- The art and practice of delegation using the urgent / importance model
- Manager’s responsibility in giving feedback
- How to handle difficult conversations
|Afternoon||Session 4. Prioritizing work and delegation skills
|Session 5. The manager’s responsibility in giving feedback
How did I do?
|Session 6. Handling challenging conversations
|Workshop wrap up
Participants update personal learning logs
Chris is VP, Learning and Development with MDA Training Inc. Previously Chris held the role of Director of Internal Audit at a Canadian financial institution. Chris has experience with corporate governance, risk and compliance. He also has operational experience in commercial, private and retail banking.
Chris is a CPA (CMA). He is also a Certified Internal Auditor, a Certified Risk Management Assurance Professional and is accredited by the Institute of Internal Auditors to facilitate IIA Courses.
MDA Training is one of the world’s leading management development and training services providers. MDA Training works with organizations to enhance the commercial skills of managers and team members.
Members $398 plus GST
Non-members $478 plus GST
Non-member plus new CAPPA membership $547 plus GST
Please note there are no walk-up onsite registrations.
Registration deadline: Noon, June 11, 2018
Cancellations must be received by email to email@example.com in order to cancel event registration.
The following refund policy applies to this event:
Full refunds will be given if cancellation to CAPPA occurs prior to midnight on May 30, 2018
A 50% refund will be given if cancellation to CAPPA occurs prior to midnight on June 7, 2018
Refunds will not be given after June 8th.
A $20 administration fee is applies to full and partial refunds.
Registration, however, may be transferred to another attendee without an administration fee. Please notify CAPPA of the transfer to another attendee. The original registrant would be responsible to sort the payment out offline with the new attendee.